Leaky faucets can be difficult to discover during the day, but if you lay down to bed and realize your faucet is in need of a Green Apple Mechanical plumber, you’ll need a quick fix to get you through the night. In addition, homes in warmer areas aren’t usually protected against the occasional cold snap, and purposely letting your faucet drip can keep those pipes from freezing until the weather gets warm again. Either way, you’ll want to quiet it down when you go to bed at night.
If your furnace is past its 15-year mark and beginning to have maintenance issues, there is a very likely chance it will need to be replaced. It may be working, but it is likely not operating at maximum efficiency and your utility bills are probably at all-time highs as a result.
Furnaces are like cars; the older they are, the more maintenance they need, usually incurring the most breakdowns in the last two years of their lives. If your furnace is roughly 15 to 20 years or older and you have a repair costing more than 15 percent of a new furnace, you should go ahead and replace it (because it is more likely to break down again soon).
Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is, no matter the age of the furnace, if the cost to repair is 50 percent or more of the cost of a new furnace, you should replace it.
If your furnace is operating with little to no maintenance issues but you’re noticing a higher utility rate and you’d like to get your bills down, there may be some lower cost solutions for you. Some alternative options may be updating your thermostat to a programmable one, cleaning or updating your duct system, purchasing an electric fireplace or portable heater, or just adding some extra blankets around the house. Call one of our Green Apple Mechanical NJ HVAC experts to help you determine which option is best for you.
Call us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Plumbing is Going Green – in the past, the concept of going green with your plumbing was seen as somewhat of a fad. However today eco-friendly options are the way of the future. Green Plumbing fixtures like low-flow toilets and more-efficient showerheads reduce water usage and still deliver performance. What could be better than that?
Options – Today, consumers have the choice between both a tankless water heater that may save money over time and more efficient traditional water heaters. Both of these are usually a good option to deliver hot water when it is needed most.
Trenchless Sewer Repair – Repairing a sewer or water pipes underground used to mean having your entire yard dug up–leaving a mess. However, new advances in trenchless sewer line repair are a great alternative. It gets the job done without leaving a mess.
Watch What you Flush – While the #1 cause of toilet clogs is wet wipes, the second leading cause may surprise you. Kids toys, which are usually flushed by a child too young to know better, can wreak havoc on your pipes.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
Determining When to Change the Filter
Most people will change their filters at the start of a new season when they know the equipment is going to be working its hardest. Some people, on the other hand, change it once a month – just to be on the safe side. What are the factors that determine how often the air filter should be changed?
- What type of air filter do you have? Since each type has a different lifespan, use that to help determine how often to change it.
- What is the air quality like in the house? If the air does not seem as clear or fresh as it used to, or you are having issues with allergies or frequent colds, you may need to replace your filter more often or choose a different type.
- Are there pets in the house? If you have pets in the home, you may want to consider changing filters more frequently or choosing a type that helps with dander.
- How many people are in the home? The more people in the home, the more dust and dirt flies around – consider changing your filters more often.
- Are you in an area with high construction or pollution? If the answer is yes to either of these, check your filters frequently and make sure to change them when they are dirty.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
- 1-Grind ice cubes to help maintain your unit. Grinding a few ice cubes once a month will help sharpen your unit’s blades and clear away waste that’s stuck on the walls of your disposal.
- 2- Don’t use drain cleaners on your disposal. The chemicals in drain cleaners can damage your disposal. If you have a clog, give a Green Apple Mechanical NJ plumber a call or try the step below to fix it instead.
- 3- Hand-crank the disposal to break up jams. One of the best ways to fix disposal jams is to stick an Allen wrench in the slot at the bottom of your unit and manually crank the blades to free it up.
- 4- Don’t forget about the reset button. If your disposal is acting up, check and see if the reset button at the bottom of the unit has tripped. If it’s popped out, press it back down and try running it again.
- 5- Exercise caution when retrieving something from your disposal. If you accidentally drop something down your disposal, be very careful when trying to retrieve it. Always make sure your unit is unplugged before attempting anything and try grabbing the object with pliers or a bent coat hanger instead of your hand.
- We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
1. Make Sure all Registers are Open and Free of Debris
In order to work efficiently, a furnace needs to be able to freely circulate air around your home. Make sure none of your registers are blocked by furniture or have trapped dust on the cover. Be careful when purchasing decorative registers – they look great but can restrict as much as 50% of the air flow.
2. Keep the Area Around the Furnace Clear
Most furnaces are kept in the basement, where we also love to store extra belongings. It’s really important to keep a three to five-foot area around your furnace completely clear of stored items. This is a safety issue because there is burning gas in the furnace. But it also helps the furnace run smoother because air can circulate freely.
3. Curtains are a Great Way to Save Energy
Strategically using your curtains can make a noticeable difference in your energy bill. By closing them at night, you can prevent heat loss to the cold outdoors.
Opening them in the day on south or west-facing windows allows warm sunshine to enter and heat the inside of your home, just like with a car left in a parking lot. On any north windows, try to keep them closed, even during the day.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
1- Invest in a Programmable Thermostat
Programmable thermostats are affordable and they allow you to automatically control the temperature in your home, throughout the day, without ever touching your device.
2- Reduce the Heat Generated in Your Home
Dry clothes at night when the temperature is cooler or hang dry outside. Try cooking a little later in the evening or grilling outdoors.
3- Seal Air Leaks
Sealing air leaks around windows and doors keep cool air from escaping during summer and warm air from escaping during winter months.
4- Know when it is Time to Replace Your Existing System
According to experts, in the best case scenario most components of HVAC systems only last 15-25 years, and that is taking into consideration that proper and regular maintenance has been a factor. The average lifespan of a furnace and boiler is 15-20 years. Some units last longer with regular maintenance. By the same token, if you have had repeated problems and a system has been repaired frequently you may have to replace sooner.
Green Apple Mechanical are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Here are a few quick things you can do yourself before calling in the HVAC pros. Remember, before doing anything involving electricity, shut off the breaker to your HVAC system. And, if you’re ever uncomfortable, call up a Green Apple Mechanical NJ HVAC pro. We will be more than happy to help.
1. Check your filter
If you’re noticing that air flow doesn’t seem to be as strong as it was or there is an odor coming from your vents, take a look at the filter in your furnace. Each model is different, but generally, you can unscrew an easy-to-find hatch and replace the filter. This should be done about every three months and more often if you’re an allergy sufferer.
2. Check your return(s) and registers
Quite often, problems with simply come down to a register (where the air comes out) or a return (where the air goes back to the furnace) being clogged or covered. You should not cover any of these vents with furniture or wall coverings and make sure they are cleaned of dust and debris regularly.
3. Is it on?
Seems obvious, but make sure the breaker that controls your air conditioning and furnace are in the on position. If they are, and things aren’t working or if they seem to be working sporadically, it’s a good idea to shut everything off and call a Green Apple Mechanical NJ HVAC pro toll-free at 888-611-7191
Clean your drains.
If you have a slow drain, this could be a clog waiting to happen. By regularly cleaning your drains, you can help reduce accumulation of waste, dirt, and debris. While there are many drain cleaners that you can get in the stores, using them too often can damage your system. A safe and simple homemade cleaner is white vinegar and hot water. Add baking soda down the drain beforehand for an added boost. Plunging can also help break up a clog but if you have a persistent clog that keeps on coming back or a severe clog, call your Green Apple Mechanical NJ plumber.
Maintain your water heater.
Your water heater is an important part of your system and should be drained at least annually to increase its efficiency and lifespan. Check the water to verify you don’t have any flakes, rust, or unusual discoloration. For gas heaters, verify the flame of the water heater is a blue color and if you see a yellow color, make arrangements to clean the jets.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your plumbing or HVAC needs call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
1. Schedule your seasonal HVAC tune-up
This is a simple task that only involves picking up the phone and calling your professional air-conditioning company and scheduling a preventative maintenance appointment. It’s extremely important to maintain your system year-round so it lasts for many years to come. You can’t skip an oil change for your car, so why miss a tune-up for your HVAC system? Your air conditioning system will run more efficiently this spring and you won’t have to worry about a break down on a hot day.
2. Check your furnace filter
Most filters have a one to three-month lifespan so you should be doing this all year long, but it’s especially important to check your filter before you start your AC unit for the first time. All the dust and debris the filter has collected will prevent your HVAC system from cooling efficiently. If your filter does not need to be changed quite yet, at least you checked and will be prepared when it’s time!
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll- free at 888-611-7191