- Cover your drains. The best AND easiest way to keep your drains clog-free is to keep everything but water out in the first place. By placing mesh screens over all of your drains, you’ll be able to catch and remove hair, food particles, and other debris.
- Pro Tip: Don’t want mesh screens to clash with your décor? Mesh screens can easily be installed under your shower drain cover, so you’ll still be able to catch debris without having to look at the buildup.
- Minimize shower shedding. It’s impossible to shower without losing some hair to the drain, but you can easily minimize hair-induced clogs by brushing or combing your hair right before you step into the shower. By doing this the majority of your loose hairs will end up in your brush rather than your drain!
- Bathe your pets outside. Weather permitting, washing your pets outside will keep loads of hair out of your drain. And during colder months when pets need to be bathed inside, you can block the drain with a washcloth to keep their fur out of your pipes OR opt to bathe them in a wash tub you can empty outside rather than in your bathtub.
- Give your garbage disposal a break. The more you compost, the less opportunity you’ll have to clog your garbage disposal. On top of that, using your garbage disposal less will also conserve water and energy!
- Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Clogged toilets – During the warmer seasons of the year, school is out, and this can contribute to more toilet clogs. Having some kids in the house can mean more trips to the toilet and using too much toilet paper which results in clogs.
- Sewer line backups – Summers are typically the time for multiple thunderstorms and heavy rains. Although these are usually for the warmer months, this can cause problems with your sewer line.
- Water sprinkler problems – The time you use your water sprinkler the most is during the summer months. Keeping your lawn watered can contribute to having issues with this system.
- Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel free to call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Why Pipes Burst
When water freezes, it expands in volume by about 9 percent. And it expands with tremendous force: The pressure inside pipes may go from 40 pounds per square inch to 40,000 psi! No pipe can hold that much pressure, so it breaks open. The break may occur where the ice forms, but more often, it occurs where water pressure finds a weak spot in the pipe. That may be inches or even feet from the frozen area.
The first sign of ice forming in pipes is reduced flow at faucets. So if the flow slows to trickle during a cold snap, or if you suspect your pipes are vulnerable, take action. Here are a few things you can do:
- Turn up the heat.
- Set up fans to blow heat into cold rooms.
- Open vanity or cabinet doors so warm air can reach the pipes under sinks.
- If you have exposed pipes inside closets or pantries, leave doors open.
- Disconnect garden hoses from outdoor faucets. Even “frostproof” faucets can burst if a hose is connected.
- Keep the garage door closed.
- If you have reduced water flow, heat the most vulnerable pipes (usually in basements and crawl spaces or near exterior walls) with a hairdryer. Leave the faucet on while you apply heat. As you melt ice, the flow will increase.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing concerns call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Malfunctioning thermostat: A faulty thermostat can lead to problems with the fan or comfort levels.
- The furnace doesn’t heat at all: A furnace that doesn’t perform its main task may have problems with the thermostat setting, power, gas or the pilot light.
- The furnace doesn’t heat enough: In addition to a clogged filter, a furnace may not produce enough heat if it’s the wrong size for the space.
- Frequent cycling: Cycling between the “On” and “Off” modes may indicate a clogged filter, improper airflow or a bad thermostat setting.
- The blower continuously runs: Blower issues may indicate a problem with the limit switch, which a Green Apple Mechanical NJ professional may need to replace.
- The furnace is too noisy: Rumbling, squeaking, and rattles aren’t normal. The sounds may indicate a mechanical problem, airflow reductions or a clogged burner.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs, please feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
You really don’t want your furnace to break down ever but you really don’t want it breaking down in weather like this. That’s why Green Apple Mechanical NJ always emphasizes the importance of having maintenance checks done on your furnace at least once a year. We can check to make sure there are no small problems that can turn into much larger problems down the road if left unchecked.
We will also ensure that all air filters are clear so air flow will be optimal and air quality will be pure. Also depending on the age of your furnace, we will check to see if it’s still up to date. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
Clean Out Air Registers
The air registers in your home gather a ton of dust, pet hair, bits of food and other stray items over time. A clogged air register has effects similar to those of a bad filter. The packed in dust and dirt restricts airflow, dirties the air and makes the furnace work harder to get the house up to the temperature you need.
Remove all the floor registers in your home and remove any obstructions with a high powered vacuum. By cleaning out the registers, you take an easy step toward ensuring your furnace isn’t working harder than it needs to.
If you have any questions or concern about the air quality of your HVAC system be sure to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority.
Other Causes of Inefficiency
If your furnace is more than ten years old it might be time to look into purchasing a new furnace. The one you have now may not be the right size for your home and its energy requirements.
There are newer, more efficient furnaces coming out on the market all the time, so if your furnace is over ten years old you’re definitely not getting the maximum efficiency level. It can be quite an eye-opener how much you can save in energy, and you’ll find a more efficient furnace can be well worth purchasing.
The exact amount you save will depend on a lot of things:
- Whether the winter is warm or cold.
- The size of your home.
- How well-insulated it is.
- Sun exposure, window size and number.
- How warm you want to keep your home.
That’s why we encourage you to dig out your real heating bills and do your own calculations.
We’re sure that no matter what how your actual numbers work out, you’ll find that you’re spending thousands of dollars that you could be using for something that’s much more fun.
If you’re ready to start saving on energy, contact Green Apple Mechanical NJ for more information on how to make your furnace more efficient. Call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Whether you are a long time garbage disposal user or have just chosen your first ever disposal, knowing how to care for it will go a long way to making your experience a good one. Garbage disposals are valuable household tools when used properly. If you are careful with what you put through your disposal and keep it clean, it should provide you with many years of carefree service. Many of the common frustrations users experience can be avoided by following just a few tips.
A common garbage disposal complaint is bad odors. This is often due to a failure to run enough water through and ensure everything is adequately flushed out. To keep your disposal fresh and clean, consider the following tips:
- Grind Thoroughly – Make sure you allow adequate time for everything to get ground and flushed with water. Leftover particles cause odors.
- Clean Regularly – At least once a week, take a bottle brush and scrub inside the disposal. This small maintenance step will go a long way to keeping it fresh.
- Grab Citrus – Fresh orange, lemon, or limes can help cut grease and eliminate odors. Simply grind pieces in the disposal.
- Vinegar is Good – Freeze some vinegar in ice cube trays and blend in the disposal. This helps to eliminate bacteria which can cause odor.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
A faulty thermostat may lead to problems with the furnace’s fan or may also affect your home’s comfort levels. In other words, the furnace may not be able to warm up your home when the thermostat is not working.
Here are some quick thermostat troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure the thermostat is set to “heat” and the fan set to “automatic.”
- You may need to change the batteries.
- To avoid false reading, make sure your thermostat is located away from all heat sources, including direct sunlight, heating vents, cooking equipment, space heaters, and lamps. If you need to relocate your thermostat, contact a professional at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191.
Does your heater sound like it is possessed?
One major warning sign is strange noises. You should start to get concerned if your furnace or boiler is starting to make strange sounds such as squeaking, banging, rattling, hissing, popping or other strange noises. Another noise to be aware of is the constant running of your furnace blower fan. Increasing these types of noises is generally an indicator that your heating system will need to be replaced.
Does your heating system have a hard time getting started on or staying on?
Older furnaces and boilers may have a hard time getting started. this can be an indication sign that your heating system needs attention. A repair may be needed to replace wiring that has become faulty, replace the malfunctioning thermostat wire repair another component in the heating system. Continual malfunctioning is a sign that you need a new heating system.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191