In the Kitchen
Kitchen drains often clog due to debris or wastes going down the sink that shouldn’t. To prevent clogged drains in this room, never put grease or oils down the sink. This includes cooking oils and fats, such as butter, that can congeal in the pipes, blocking water flow.
Improper use of the garbage disposal is another common reason for clogged kitchen drains. Follow this kitchen plumbing maintenance checklist to help you avoid this problem:
- Always turn your water and disposal on before adding food.
- Never put fibrous or stringy food wastes down the disposal. These include banana peels, celery, potato peels, and other foods that are difficult to grind up.
- Always allow the cold water to run for at least 15 seconds after using the disposal. This ensures food wastes are flushed down the main line.
- Run your dishwasher at night to conserve hot water and maintain good water pressure throughout the day.
In the Bathroom
The bathroom is another room where drains often become clogged. You can reduce clogs and even prevent them by following this plumbing maintenance checklist:
- Keep shower and sink drains flowing freely by reducing your use of bath oils and installing screens over drains to prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it as a trash can. Ideally, only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed. While tampons and some wipes are labeled as flushable, it is better not to do so.
- Wait about 10 minutes between showers to help maintain proper water pressure and hot water throughout the day. Maintaining proper water pressure helps prevent unwanted stress on your home plumbing system.
- Avoid using chemical clog removal products that can cause more harm than good. These products can corrode your pipes!
Think of all the products you use to wash, moisturize and condition. They are often oily or greasy in order to provide moisture for your skin and hair. Once they make their way down your drain, however, they can cling to pipes, attract other debris and cause blockages.
If you have any questions or concerns call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Key HVAC Maintenance Tips for Fall
During those cold fall nights, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system becomes the most valuable equipment in your home. But if it’s running poorly, that means less comfort and higher energy bills for homeowners. Heating your home and producing hot water are generally the largest energy expenses for any homeowner, so you can ensure your home heating bill remains as reasonable as possible by supporting your HVAC system and keeping it running properly.
Complete these tips in the fall to help your HVAC system operate efficiently throughout the winter. This way, you can save money to be enjoyed in other ways during the holiday season.
Change the Air Filter and Clean the Vents
Changing the air filter every month is one of the most important things you can do to support your HVAC system. It’s also one of the easiest. The filter should be checked every month and replaced if it is dirty. Filters should be replaced at the very least every three months – no matter what. Keep up with this simple project by choosing a regular day to check the filter, such as the first or last day of the month.
The same day the filter is replaced is also a good time to vacuum off the air vents. This keeps them clean and allows warm air to flow freely, easing temperature regulation throughout the home.
Have It Inspected
Yearly service of your HVAC system ensures it runs properly. Homeowners should have the system inspected in the fall to best prepare it for the demands of winter. The Department of Energy website offers a list of helpful instructions to help homeowners.
If Your HVAC System is Ancient, Replace It
Replacing the home’s HVAC system can be an expensive proposition, but if your system is old and inefficient, the added comfort and financial benefits of a new system can be very real. If your system is more than 10 years old, ask a Green Apple technician’s opinion on the longevity of your system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing it with a new high-efficiency model could reduce your home’s annual energy bill by as much as 20-40 percent.
Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191 with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Save Yourself Money – By replacing your system in the fall, you put time on your side. Time to research the type of equipment that would be best for your situation instead of just replicating whatever you had before. Fall replacements also give you time to search for the best HVAC system. Since most contractors are in between the cooling and heating seasons, they will be much more available and willing to spend time with you to help you figure out the best ways to solve your cooling problems. Since investments in new HVAC systems can be significant, this time also allows you to plan. You might even consider covering it under a home equity loan, thus saving on financing costs.
Green Apple Mechanical are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel to call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
If you notice that your plumbing has been giving you problems lately, check your yards. Those beautiful orange leaves can be the biggest culprits here. This is primarily because a lot of leaves fall and accumulate in one location during the season. They can easily be blown into your drainage system and block everything. Winds, rain and sometimes even traffic are the factors which play a big part in pushing those leaves in your drainage system.
Fortunately, this problem can also be handled easily by a professional Green Apple plumber. Let them have a thorough check on the system. They might replace your drain cover so that this problem does not reoccur. Many covers are manufactured to fit a particular drain; hence it’s crucial to get them properly measured and fitted by a professional only.
We really hope that you understand the importance of a professional Green Apple plumber. Save yourself from all the drama of “trial & fix error” and hire a professional Green Apple plumber. It costs more money to fix the damage caused inadequately than with a professional expert. We have insight, deep knowledge and troubleshooting plans to tackle all plumbing related problems.
We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Although the first hint of cool fall weather may have you more focused on your furnace, this is the perfect time to install a new central air conditioning system. By getting the job done now, you’ll save money compared to the summertime costs and you’ll be ready to go with a reliable, energy-efficient cooling system next year.
FIND GREAT DEALS ON NEW A/C SYSTEMS
A new central cooling system is an investment. Even though upgrading to a more efficient air conditioner will lower your cooling bills, it’s still worth it to save as much as you can on upfront purchase costs.
Many homeowners upgrade or install a new central A/C in early summer when they decide not to spend another hot summer without reliable air conditioning. Others are forced to replace their systems in the middle of summer when their existing cooling system breaks down. This keeps A/C system prices high all summer.
Come fall, demand for air conditioners drops off. HVAC equipment sellers who still have plenty of stock left over from summer often discount it to move it out of their inventory before winter. It’s a little like garden furniture going on sale at the end of summer.
IN THE FALL, TECHNICIANS ARE AVAILABLE AND AFFORDABLE
Fall is one of the slowest periods for heating and cooling technicians. Thanks to the mild weather, the start of school and the upcoming holidays, many homeowners forget all about their air conditioners.
That means not only do many HVAC specialists have open spots in their work schedules, but they also offer favorable pricing to encourage customers to call in and fill those spots. Prices for HVAC services are lower in fall than at any other time of year.
Install a new central A/C in fall and not only can you get a good deal on installation work, but you also have a better chance of getting scheduled in with the kind of highly trained, experienced technician you want.
Putting in an air conditioner requires outdoor work, including digging. You might find air conditioners on sale in December, but getting the system installed in New Jersey’s cold, snowy winter weather may not always be possible. Even when it is, heating and cooling technicians usually have their schedules full with furnace installation and repair work.
DITCH THOSE WINDOW UNITS
The window A/C units used in many homes have several drawbacks. Inconvenience is one. They’re usually put in place at the beginning of summer, then removed and put into storage come fall. In addition, window units can be uncomfortably loud, older models aren’t energy efficient, and any unsealed gaps around the units cause air leaks that let in hot, humid outdoor air.
Install a new central A/C this fall and it will be the last time you’ll ever have to pull out those window units and haul them to storage. Next summer, you’ll enjoy cool air in every room without any irritating noise. There’s a good chance your cooling bills will be lower, too.
Keep in mind if your home uses radiators, baseboard heaters or another ductless heating method, you’ll need to have ducts installed along with the new air conditioner. Duct sizing and installation adds time to the system installation job, so start early before the cold weather arrives.
KNOW WHEN TO REPLACE THE A/C
If you already have a central air conditioner, but you’ve been considering upgrading, there are a few clear signs that tell you this fall is the time to do it.
- The system is old – An air conditioner that’s more than 10 years old runs less efficiently than modern systems and is at high risk for component failure no matter how well it seems to be running.
- The A/C has frequent breakdowns – Have you had to call a repair technician this year, last year and the year before that? Take time this fall to buy and install a new central A/C and next summer you’ll spend less time and money on A/C repairs, as well as enjoy lower energy bills and improved cooling performance.
- Cooling bills are rising – If every summer brings cooling bills that are much higher than the last, chances are it’s due to the steady drop in energy efficiency your system experiences as it ages.
Why does my toilet constantly run?
Homeowners that experience running or leaky toilets is one of the most frequent questions that people ask Green Apple plumbers.
The typical reason that toilets run is the flap in the bottom of the tank is not sealing shut. Ever wonder why jiggling the handle generally works to stop the running water?
To fix a running toilet, take the top off the tank and flush the toilet while watching the rubber flap.
Does it completely close?
If not, some of the water that is entering the tank is flowing out through an unsealed flap. The unsealed flap means water continues to run because the float ball trigger is never activated to stop the flow since water never reaches the fill line.
That jiggle? The handle is connected to the rubber flap with a chain, and jiggling it will reposition the flap so that it may seal more securely.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you are experiencing any problems or concerns with any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
Longer Life Span
The average life of a home’s air conditioning system is said to be between 10 and 20 years. But, a well-maintained unit can last as many as 30 years. Air conditioning units that receive little to no care may not even make it to their tenth birthday, a huge difference in lifespan.
Fewer Repair Bills
A potentially hazardous condition can be caught early by a qualified and experienced air conditioning technician. Preventative care for your unit can help to eliminate or lower the possibility for costly repair bills in the future.
A brand new air conditioner, by contrast, will cost several thousand dollars. Even small repairs can run several hundred dollars. A qualified Green Apple technician can often find and address small problems with A/C units through a regular inspection that, left unnoticed, could grow into larger, more expensive issues.
What About During the Rest of Year?
In between your annual ac maintenance calls, there are a few things you can do to help to increase the efficiency of your NJ’s home’s air conditioner:
Periodically inspect the outdoor unit for damage, and keep the area around the unit free of dirt, debris, weeds, foliage, leaves and twigs.
Turn up the thermostat
When you’re not home or on vacation, turn up the air conditioner until you return. This will lessen the load on your system, and it will last longer. Many of the newer thermostats also have schedules that you can use to choose different settings for different times of the day according to your personal schedule.
Make sure indoor air vents are free of dust, lint, obstructions, hair and pet dander.
As your HVAC system runs, it accumulates dust and dirt in key areas that affect its efficiency, like the condensing coils and air filters. Left unchecked, your A/C system can lose up to 5 percent of its operating efficiency each year because of this buildup, meaning it can’t cool your house to the best of its ability as it could if it were clean.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Cover your drains. The best AND easiest way to keep your drains clog-free is to keep everything but water out in the first place. By placing mesh screens over all of your drains, you’ll be able to catch and remove hair, food particles, and other debris.
- Pro Tip: Don’t want mesh screens to clash with your décor? Mesh screens can easily be installed under your shower drain cover, so you’ll still be able to catch debris without having to look at the buildup.
- Minimize shower shedding. It’s impossible to shower without losing some hair to the drain, but you can easily minimize hair-induced clogs by brushing or combing your hair right before you step into the shower. By doing this the majority of your loose hairs will end up in your brush rather than your drain!
- Bathe your pets outside. Weather permitting, washing your pets outside will keep loads of hair out of your drain. And during colder months when pets need to be bathed inside, you can block the drain with a washcloth to keep their fur out of your pipes OR opt to bathe them in a wash tub you can empty outside rather than in your bathtub.
- Give your garbage disposal a break. The more you compost, the less opportunity you’ll have to clog your garbage disposal. On top of that, using your garbage disposal less will also conserve water and energy!
- Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
1. Frequent Repairs. Schedule maintenance is important to ensure your unit is running efficiently, but when the HVAC technician knows you and your dog by name, it might be time to consider a new AC unit. A simple, occasional repair will keep your unit running, but continuous repairs are expensive and a sign of decline.
2. Temperature Fluctuations. A well-functioning AC unit can keep up with changing outdoor conditions and maintain a comfortable, steady temperature at the right humidity levels. If your central AC unit used to keep your home consistently comfortable, but stopped doing so, it’s time for an upgrade.
3. Rising Energy Bills. Air conditioning units that are starting to fail may consume more energy than they did when they functioned properly. This usually happens because the AC unit now needs to run longer or more frequently to maintain a consistent temperature. If your energy bills are on the rise, your AC unit may be the culprit.
4. Poor Operation. If your central air conditioning unit is making banging, grinding, or clanging noises, it may be on its last legs. Units that turn off and on frequently are also indicative of poor operation.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Replace the Air Filter
Replacing the air filter in your HVAC unit is one of the most effective ways you can improve its performance and your home’s air quality. As you would expect, a filter prevents debris and pollution from harming the entire system, and an old, dirty filter isn’t much use. In fact, a filter in need of replacing will slow air flow and increases your energy bill as the system works harder to heat or cool your home.
With these reasons in mind, be sure to replace your air filter frequently. As far as how frequently, this depends on the quality of your current filter, how much you use the furnace or air conditioning, and whether or not you own pets. Generally, the average suburban household should replace the air filter every 90 days. If allergies are a factor, or if you own several indoor pets, you may consider changing the filter every month. Here are a few other items to keep in mind:
- High-quality air filters save time and money. Contact your HVAC manufacturer and see what the professionals recommend.
- Extra use may cause dirt and grime to build up more quickly. Check the filter regularly to make sure it’s not clogged.
- Be prepared. Once you know what filter to buy, purchase several at a time to avoid putting it off when the time comes.
- Call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191