Carpeting and area rugs on floors help insulate against drafts. They also feel great underfoot, help with soundproofing, and make us feel warmer because they’re so cozy looking.
2- Keep a Good Humidity Level
Most people notice that the air in our homes tends to be really dry in colder weather. It’s not only drying on skin and throats, but it can make us feel colder than we really are. Using a humidifier to bring your humidity level up to about 40% will help transfer heat better. You can lower the setting on the thermostat and not notice it. More humidity is also better for wood floors and furniture and can help prevent asthma and allergy attacks.
3- Make Sure your Garage Door is Sealed
The garage is one of the biggest culprits of energy loss in the modern home. Make sure the garage door is touching all the way down and there aren’t any drafts around the sides are top.
By following these tips, you’ll keep your furnace running smoothly all season long. You’ll also stay cozy and warm for less money.
Green Apple Mechanical are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Homeowners are responsible for maintaining the septic system. Consistent care and attention of your septic system are essential to preventing system failure.
How do you know if your system is failing?
- Toilets are slow to flush.
- Water backs up into sinks, toilets, bathtubs, and laundry machines.
- Gurgling sounds are heard when running water or flushing toilets.
- The grass is a deeper green color over the septic system area.
- Patches of unusual puddles and sogginess.
- Depressions forming in the soil.
- Unpleasant smell in or around the house.
- If you notice any of these septic system warning signs be sure to call Green Apple Mechanical toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority.
Air conditioning is measured by the ton, which is the cooling energy released by a one-ton block of ice melting over the course of a day. You’ll pay about $2,000 to $4,000 per ton, and a typical two-story, 2,000-square-foot house might require 3 to 3.5 tons of air conditioning—but getting the tonnage exactly right is essential. An oversized system will cool the house so quickly it doesn’t effectively dehumidify the air (a major key to comfort), and if it’s too small it will run almost constantly, increasing your energy bills and prematurely wearing out the equipment.
It’s very important to choose a qualified technician like the ones at Green Apple Mechanical NJ. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
While cracked pipes and clogged drains are problematic, flooding is a nightmare. With spring comes a lot of snowmelt, and with snowmelt comes a lot of displaced water that can end up in your basement.
Sometimes your basement turns into a wading pool, but other times basement flooding is less noticeable. Here are some signs of a wet basement to be aware of
There are a few ways you can be proactive about preventing spring flooding:
- Disconnect your downspouts from your sewer system and make sure water is draining about 6.5 feet away from your house’s foundation
- Maintain your eavestroughs so they are clear of debris
- Clear the drainage grates in front of your house and the drainage swales between your house and your neighbors’ so melting water and rain can flow freely through them.
- We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple Mechanical toll-free.
During the months of March, April and May, the weather is cool enough that many people aren’t yet thinking about turning on or replacing their A/C unit, nor is it warm enough to have the furnace running full time. With a drop in demand for repairs and replacements for both, it not only frees up contractors to install a unit, but you’ll likely find a great price too. The same can be said during the autumn months. September, October, and November often offer mild temperatures that don’t require the need for air conditioning and the drop in sales will allow you, the consumer, to leverage a deal with a sales associate and get the best deal possible.
If you’re looking to find a great deal on a central air conditioner, following the trends of the market will help you to determine the right time to buy. Spring and autumn may be the best, but it’s also important to choose a contractor that you trust.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. Call Green Apple Mechanical toll-free at 888-611-7191
Prolong the Life of Your Furnace
The longer you put off having an annual inspection done on your furnace, the more likely you’re going to have a breakdown (usually when you need your furnace the most). During an inspection, a trained Green Apple Mechanical NJ technician may very well find small problems that if left unchecked could result in a major repair.Preventative maintenance on your furnace guarantees that all the parts in your furnace work together to heat your home safely and reliably for years to come.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Leaks
When the heat exchanger in your furnace becomes cracked, gases like carbon monoxide can escape into your home.
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and potentially deadly. For your family’s safety, it’s important to inspect your furnace regularly to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s also wise to install a carbon monoxide detector outside of each bedroom to protect and alert family members.
Clean Built-Up Rust and Dirt
A proper inspection includes checking for rust and dirt that can build up on the burners in your furnace. This type of buildup can create pockets that trap gas and cause hot spots on your furnace’s heat exchanger.
Even if your furnace is new, it still requires inspection as different factors can cause rust and dirt to accumulate.
Replace Worn-Out Parts
Your furnace’s internal parts wear out over time, which could cause it to stop working. A qualified Green Apple Mechanical NJ technician should check the parts in your furnace and replace those that could cause problems before your next inspection.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
Leaky faucets can be difficult to discover during the day, but if you lay down to bed and realize your faucet is in need of a Green Apple Mechanical plumber, you’ll need a quick fix to get you through the night. In addition, homes in warmer areas aren’t usually protected against the occasional cold snap, and purposely letting your faucet drip can keep those pipes from freezing until the weather gets warm again. Either way, you’ll want to quiet it down when you go to bed at night.
If your furnace is past its 15-year mark and beginning to have maintenance issues, there is a very likely chance it will need to be replaced. It may be working, but it is likely not operating at maximum efficiency and your utility bills are probably at all-time highs as a result.
Furnaces are like cars; the older they are, the more maintenance they need, usually incurring the most breakdowns in the last two years of their lives. If your furnace is roughly 15 to 20 years or older and you have a repair costing more than 15 percent of a new furnace, you should go ahead and replace it (because it is more likely to break down again soon).
Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is, no matter the age of the furnace, if the cost to repair is 50 percent or more of the cost of a new furnace, you should replace it.
If your furnace is operating with little to no maintenance issues but you’re noticing a higher utility rate and you’d like to get your bills down, there may be some lower cost solutions for you. Some alternative options may be updating your thermostat to a programmable one, cleaning or updating your duct system, purchasing an electric fireplace or portable heater, or just adding some extra blankets around the house. Call one of our Green Apple Mechanical NJ HVAC experts to help you determine which option is best for you.
Call us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Plumbing is Going Green – in the past, the concept of going green with your plumbing was seen as somewhat of a fad. However today eco-friendly options are the way of the future. Green Plumbing fixtures like low-flow toilets and more-efficient showerheads reduce water usage and still deliver performance. What could be better than that?
Options – Today, consumers have the choice between both a tankless water heater that may save money over time and more efficient traditional water heaters. Both of these are usually a good option to deliver hot water when it is needed most.
Trenchless Sewer Repair – Repairing a sewer or water pipes underground used to mean having your entire yard dug up–leaving a mess. However, new advances in trenchless sewer line repair are a great alternative. It gets the job done without leaving a mess.
Watch What you Flush – While the #1 cause of toilet clogs is wet wipes, the second leading cause may surprise you. Kids toys, which are usually flushed by a child too young to know better, can wreak havoc on your pipes.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Clean the bathroom fans. Your bathroom fans work hard all year and this is the perfect time to ensure the work they do is as efficient as possible. Remove the covers from your fans before washing them with soap and water. Once the covers are off, use a toothbrush to clean the fan blades before reapplying the cover. Just make sure the power is off before starting this task.
- Add a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats allow you to program the temperature settings in your home so you can set your home to be warmer during periods when you’re away and more comfortable when you’re home. The system will also communicate with you and provide ways of saving even more energy and lowering your monthly bill. Follow its recommendations and you’ll get new tips that can help you save even more.
- Schedule a tuneup. Once you’ve accomplished all the tasks above, it’s time to bring in the experts. Green Apple Mechanical NJ will be able to take a more detailed look at your system and identify problems you may have otherwise missed. Follow us around during our inspection and ask questions. You may just learn some insights that will be invaluable in your ongoing efforts to reduce your energy usage and total bill.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191