What NOT to Put in Your Garbage Disposal
Even the highest-quality garbage disposals are designed to handle a restricted range of food products. The list of items they should not be asked to grind up include the following:
- Large animal bones
- Grease or cooking oil
- Fruit pits
- High-fiber foods (lettuce, artichokes, onion skins, celery, etc.)
- Potato or banana peels
- Pasta, rice, beans and other foods that absorb water
- Coffee grounds
These food items can clog drain pipes, jam or dull cutting blades, strain disposal motors, and create unpleasant but persistent odors. While you may not realize it, you’ll be shortening the lifespan of your disposal every time you ask it to process any of these substances.
If you have any questions or concerns about your garbage disposal or any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
1. Buy a better filter if you haven’t already. The new high-efficiency pleated filters have an electrostatic charge that works like a magnet to grab the tiniest particles — even those that carry bacteria.
2. Replace the filter at least every 90 days. But check it monthly. If it looks dark and clogged, go ahead and change it. If you have pets, you’ll probably need to change every month.
3. Make sure there are at least two feet of clearance around outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps.
4. Remove debris, such as leaves, pollen, and twigs weekly during spring, summer, and fall from top and sides of outdoor air-conditioning units and heat pumps. Don’t allow the lawn mower to discharge grass clippings onto the unit.
5. Monthly, inspect insulation on refrigerant lines leading into the house. Replace if missing or damaged.
6. Make sure unit is level. Annually, ensure that outdoor air-conditioning units and heat pumps are on firm and level ground or pads.
Most importantly remember that Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
World Plumbing Day is an international event, initiated by the World Plumbing Council, held on the 11th of March each year to recognize the important role plumbing plays in societal health and amenity.
The WPC, through its member countries and its partnerships with bodies like the World Health Organisation, works all year round to promote the benefits of safe plumbing, but in 2010 it decided to launch the concept of embedding a single day on the world’s calendar dedicated to plumbing.
The idea was that on March 11 each year people all over the world would pause to reflect on the vital role plumbing plays in preserving their health and way of life – in the case of countries like ours – or in building sustainable disease free futures for millions in the developing world.
And so World Plumbing Day was born, and it is big and getting bigger all the time.
Plumbing is a vitally important job and you don’t want to trust just anyone with such an important task. Green Apple Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust.We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. Call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Malfunctioning thermostat: A faulty thermostat can lead to problems with the fan or comfort levels.
- The furnace doesn’t heat at all: A furnace that doesn’t perform its main task may have problems with the thermostat setting, power, gas or the pilot light.
- The furnace doesn’t heat enough: In addition to a clogged filter, a furnace may not produce enough heat if it’s the wrong size for the space.
- Frequent cycling: Cycling between the “On” and “Off” modes may indicate a clogged filter, improper airflow or a bad thermostat setting.
- The blower continuously runs: Blower issues may indicate a problem with the limit switch, which a Green Apple Mechanical NJ professional may need to replace.
- The furnace is too noisy: Rumbling, squeaking, and rattles aren’t normal. The sounds may indicate a mechanical problem, airflow reductions or a clogged burner.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs, please feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
Keep garage doors closed, especially if there are water supply lines in the garage.
Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. (If you have small children, be sure to remove any harmful cleaners and household chemicals.)
Let the cold water drip from a faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe—even at a trickle—helps prevent pipes from freezing.
Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during day and night. Again, during a cold snap is not the time to set back the thermostat at night to save a few bucks on your heating bill.
For the long-term, add insulation to attics, basements, and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in those areas. And to prevent drafts, seal cracks and openings around windows, doors, and at sill plates, where the house rests on its foundation.
If you are experiencing any problems with your HVAC system or trouble with your plumbing give us a call here at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
You really don’t want your furnace to break down ever but you really don’t want it breaking down in weather like this. That’s why Green Apple Mechanical NJ always emphasizes the importance of having maintenance checks done on your furnace at least once a year. We can check to make sure there are no small problems that can turn into much larger problems down the road if left unchecked.
We will also ensure that all air filters are clear so air flow will be optimal and air quality will be pure. Also depending on the age of your furnace, we will check to see if it’s still up to date. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
- A leak never gets better on its own. The flow may fluctuate, but once it starts, it won’t stop without a repair. Leaks are a sure sign that something is wrong, just as your gut instinct led you to believe.
- A leak is usually caused by a mechanical malfunction. Your sink may need plumbing help in the form of a new part, such as a washer or rubber seal.
- A leak could be a sign of an old pipe – another problem that must be addressed and inspected for damage. Weakened pipes almost always must be replaced.
- A leak can can cause drywall damage, depending on where it’s located. It’s easy to forget that water travels, seeking the path of least resistance. Wet drywall often must be replaced, too.
- A leak can cause mold damage. And the longer a leak has gone undetected, the more extensive the mold damage is likely to be. Fortunately, mold that is contained to a small area – that hasn’t “traveled” along the route of the water – is fairly simple to remedy.
- A leak can damage floors, furniture and other items that the water has penetrated. If your home has ever incurred even 1 inch of water, you know how invasive water can be, often ruining everything in its way.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
1. Decorative Insulation
Carpeting and area rugs on floors help insulate against drafts. They also feel great underfoot, help with soundproofing, and make us feel warmer because they’re so cozy looking.
2. Keep a Good Humidity Level
Most people notice that the air in our homes tends to be really dry in winter. It’s not only drying on skin and throats, but it can make us feel colder than we really are. Using a humidifier to bring your humidity level up to about 40% will help transfer heat better. You can lower the setting on the thermostat and not notice it. More humidity is also better for wood floors and furniture and can help prevent asthma and allergy attacks.
3. Make Sure your Garage Door is Sealed
The garage is one of the biggest culprits of energy loss in the modern home. Make sure the garage door is touching all the way down and there aren’t any drafts around the sides are top.
By following these tips, you’ll keep your furnace running smoothly all winter long. You’ll also stay cozy and warm for less money.
We are the professionals you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
1-Keep the Area Around the Furnace Clear
Most furnaces are kept in the basement, where we also love to store extra belongings. It’s really important to keep a three to five foot area around your furnace completely clear of stored items. This is a safety issue because there is burning gas in the furnace. But it also helps the furnace run smoother because air can circulate freely.
2-. Curtains are a Great Way to Save Energy
Strategically using your curtains can make a noticeable difference in your energy bill. By closing them at night, you can prevent heat loss to the cold outdoors.
Opening them in the day on the south or west-facing windows allows warm sunshine to enter and heat the inside of your home, just like with a car left in a parking lot. On any north windows, try to keep them closed, even during the day.
3. Get Regular Furnace Tune-Ups
Make sure you have your furnace inspected and tuned up every year by Green Apple Mechanical NJ to ensure its running at peak efficiency. One faulty part can place strain on the rest of the system, and can lead to sudden breakdowns.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
- To prevent excessive watering of your lawn in the summertime, purchase an inexpensive spring-loaded timer that attaches directly to your outside faucet. This will prevent overwatering in case you forget to shut off the sprinkler.
- Water pressure in your home above 60 pounds per square inch is harmful to your plumbing system and will cause excessive water usage. Contact your local water authority to find out what the water pressure is on your street. If it exceeds 60 pounds, consider installing a pressure-reducing valve that will limit the water pressure within your home.
- Check your water meter during a period of time when no water is being used. Make a note of the meter reading and check it 8 to 10 hours later. If the meter has moved, there is an indication that you may have an undetected water leak, which should be corrected.
- Leaky toilets consume more than 40% of your total water usage. Installation of a new toilet flapper and fill valve will keep your toilet running efficiently.
- Replacing an old showerhead can save up to 7.5 gallons of water per minute without sacrificing full spray action at low or high water pressures.
- If you have any questions or concerns call Green Apple Mechanical Nj toll-free at 888-611-7191