Your furnace needs to be properly sized to your home. Some homeowners think that the larger the furnace, the warmer their home will be—but this could not be more false. Oversized furnaces can make your home uncomfortably warm in certain areas while other areas remain too cold. And they will not operate efficiently because they spend a majority of the time warming up only to shut off without completing a full cycle since it does not fit your home correctly.
If you are unsure of the proper size of what your furnace should then make sure to contact the experts at Green Apple Mechanical NJ. Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Check for plumbing leaks
Be sure to look at both your faucets and toilets for any leaks. You want to confirm there is no water dripping out of or around the connections when you shut off your faucets. If there is, installing new fixtures or repairing the leak could help better the faucet’s function and may even lower your water bill.
After the faucets, inspect any accessible pipes for evidence of leaks. You can often see visible pipes in basements and below sinks. Extreme weather can cause pipes to freeze and sometimes crack. Spring is the ideal time to make sure the winter weather didn’t cause any damage that would result in plumbing problems.
Be sure to contact the professionals at Green Apple Mechanical NJ with any questions or concerns you might be experiencing. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
Energy savings, lower utility bills, and better indoor air quality are the three greatest benefits that you’ll enjoy when you replace your dirty furnace filters. An understanding of the role that air filters play helps explain why they’re so important:
- Airflow. Even the most energy-efficient furnace can’t keep your home snug and warm without a well-operating air distribution system. If an air filter becomes so clogged and dirty that it restricts airflow, the system will have to work harder to get conditioned air through the ductwork. Dirt can also accumulate on the coils and further restrict airflow.
- Heater performance. Dirty filters can cause dust, grime, and debris to build up on heater components, which can impair the efficiency of the entire heating system. Over time, the heater’s performance weakens while the energy usage steadily increases. Replacing a clogged filter can lower an HVAC system’s energy consumption by as much as 15 percent.
- Indoor Air Quality. Filters are rated according to the number and size of particles that they can trap. In the rating system used, the Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV), the higher the MERV, the better the filter’s ability to remove small particulates. An expert from Green Apple Mechanical NJ can help you to select the best filter for your heating system.
- Call Green Apple Toll-free at 888-611-7191
Other Causes of Inefficiency
If your furnace is more than ten years old it might be time to look into purchasing a new furnace. The one you have now may not be the right size for your home and its energy requirements.
There are newer, more efficient furnaces coming out on the market all the time, so if your furnace is over ten years old you’re definitely not getting the maximum efficiency level. It can be quite an eye-opener how much you can save in energy, and you’ll find a more efficient furnace can be well worth purchasing.
The exact amount you save will depend on a lot of things:
- Whether the winter is warm or cold.
- The size of your home.
- How well-insulated it is.
- Sun exposure, window size and number.
- How warm you want to keep your home.
That’s why we encourage you to dig out your real heating bills and do your own calculations.
We’re sure that no matter what how your actual numbers work out, you’ll find that you’re spending thousands of dollars that you could be using for something that’s much more fun.
If you’re ready to start saving on energy, contact Green Apple Mechanical NJ for more information on how to make your furnace more efficient. Call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Whether you are a long time garbage disposal user or have just chosen your first ever disposal, knowing how to care for it will go a long way to making your experience a good one. Garbage disposals are valuable household tools when used properly. If you are careful with what you put through your disposal and keep it clean, it should provide you with many years of carefree service. Many of the common frustrations users experience can be avoided by following just a few tips.
A common garbage disposal complaint is bad odors. This is often due to a failure to run enough water through and ensure everything is adequately flushed out. To keep your disposal fresh and clean, consider the following tips:
- Grind Thoroughly – Make sure you allow adequate time for everything to get ground and flushed with water. Leftover particles cause odors.
- Clean Regularly – At least once a week, take a bottle brush and scrub inside the disposal. This small maintenance step will go a long way to keeping it fresh.
- Grab Citrus – Fresh orange, lemon, or limes can help cut grease and eliminate odors. Simply grind pieces in the disposal.
- Vinegar is Good – Freeze some vinegar in ice cube trays and blend in the disposal. This helps to eliminate bacteria which can cause odor.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
One of the very best ways to care for your HVAC system is to make sure that you have an annual furnace inspection performed by a Green Apple Mechanical NJ technician. These annual inspections are incredibly important because if there are any small problems now it’s better to have them corrected before they turn into much larger and much more expensive problems down the road.
It’s also essential to make sure that your furnace filters are being changed on a regular basis to ensure that airflow can circulate effectively and that the air quality is clean and healthy for your family to breathe. If the filters are clear then the furnace itself will not have to work as hard to push the air through.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns call us toll-free at 888-611-7191
Plan Monthly Baking Soda Treatments for Sink and Tub Drains
1-Rather than relying on expensive and usually toxic drain openers, every month or so sprinkle about 1/4 cup (60ml) of baking soda into your sink and tub drains, followed with just enough warm water to get the powder well into the drain.
Then pour in 1 cup (240ml) of white vinegar. Let the clumpy mixture stand a few hours or overnight to dissolve scum and bacteria buildup in the pipe bends beneath the sink or tub drains, then flush the drain with hot water.
This inexpensive drain fix will keep your drains working freely without harming any of your plumbing fixtures or the environment.
2- Don’t Crank-Shut Faucet Handles
To make faucet handles last longer to prevent leaks, turn the faucet off but don’t tighten the handle any more than is needed to stop the water. Cranking handles forcefully into the off position wears down the washers faster.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or Plumbing needs call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191
Maintain Your Furnace
The first key to preventing furnace-caused problems like home fires is to regularly maintain your heater. Cracks and leaks within your furnace can cause gas to escape into your home, creating a fire hazard. Annual tune-ups include the inspection of your burner assembly and heat exchanger as well as other critical parts.
Maintaining your furnace will keep it running safely and efficiently throughout the winter and help prevent home fires.
Keep the Area Clear
Your furnace can become quite hot. You should keep the three-foot area directly around your furnace free of any combustible materials. Placing things too close to a heat source is the leading cause of fatal home fires, and accounted for 53% of home fire deaths in 2010.
So take a look around your furnace and make sure there is nothing flammable in its immediate vicinity. Also, if you notice that the walls around your heater are warm to the touch or discolored, have a Green Apple Mechanical NJ professional take a look as this could be a serious problem. Call toll-free at 888-611-7191
A faulty thermostat may lead to problems with the furnace’s fan or may also affect your home’s comfort levels. In other words, the furnace may not be able to warm up your home when the thermostat is not working.
Here are some quick thermostat troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure the thermostat is set to “heat” and the fan set to “automatic.”
- You may need to change the batteries.
- To avoid false reading, make sure your thermostat is located away from all heat sources, including direct sunlight, heating vents, cooking equipment, space heaters, and lamps. If you need to relocate your thermostat, contact a professional at Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-611-7191.
One way to prevent costly repairs to your home is a regular maintenance schedule. Because many issues with your pipes sneak up on you, a thorough inspection is key to catching small problems before they grow. Hidden leaks in sink drains or below water heaters are more than just a nuisance; over time, they can cause structural damage. Water that seeps into sheetrock or plaster contributes to mold growth. Porous tile or wood flooring can discolor or warp when wet. Water damage can also be extremely expensive.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your plumbing or HVAC needs please feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Mechanical toll-free at 888-611-7191