The old phrase “no news is good news” definitely applies to the plumbing in any New Jersey area home.
Have you required more than one heating repair on your furnace or boiler within the last two years? Just like cars break down more often as they age, so does your home’s furnace or boiler.
Most furnaces are kept in the basement, where we also love to store extra belongings. It’s really important to keep a three to five foot area around your furnace completely clear of stored items.
Did you Know That… Albert Einstein was made an honorary member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Union? The German physicist said on one occasion that if he had to live his life all over again, he would be a plumber!
During the winter, some vents in rooms around the house can become blocked by moved carpets and furniture, or have their shutters closed. This is bad for the furnace: it increases the pressure inside the ventilation system, which can lead to leaks, and forces more work from the furnace blower, which drains energy and can cause the blower motor to overheat. Tour your house and make sure the vents are clear and open.
Green Apple Mechanical are the professionals you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
Before the onset of cold weather, protect your pipes from freezing by following these recommendations:
- Drain water from
swimmingpool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer’s or installer’s directions. Do not put antifreeze in these lines unless directed. Antifreeze is environmentally harmful,and is dangerous to humans, animals, and landscaping.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas. Look in the garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
- Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes like a “pipe sleeve” or installing UL-listed “heat tape,” “heat cable,” or similar materials on exposed water pipes. Newspaper can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes – even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
- Call green Apple Mechanical Toll-free @ 888-611-7191 with any questions or concerns you may have regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs.
A properly maintained furnace uses less fuel and lasts longer. A Green Apple Mechanical NJ HVAC professional will oil motors so they run more smoothly, check and replace the filters, and make sure your thermostat is set accurately. All of these make your furnace run more efficiently and use less energy. With proper maintenance, it can reduce your costs on your electricity bill, since 46% of the average family electricity bill is towards heating and cooling.
Annual maintenance also reduces the chance of your furnace breaking down. By checking it annually, you can do necessary repairs then – rather than when it’s in the middle of
Regular annual checks of your furnace are vital for your health, finances, and safety. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free @ 888-611-7191.
Modern toilets use a variety of low-flow designs aimed at saving water. The early forms of these toilets may lack the necessary pressure to clear the internal trap and drain, meaning that they often develop clogs. Look at the back of your toilet for a stamped date. If your toilet was made in the mid-1990s, you could have one of these first-generation low-flow toilets.
If this is the case, don’t feel the need to rush into buying a brand new toilet. You can sometimes reduce clogs in low-flow toilets by limiting toilet paper use and avoiding clog-prone items. But if these efforts don’t help, the solution will be to install a more up-to-date toilet.
If you are experiencing any difficulty with any of your plumbing or HVAC concerns call Green Apple Mechanical NJ toll-free @ 888-611-7191
- If you start noticing more dust around your home, or dust around your air vents
- You smell a dusty odor in your home
- You or your family has unexplained congestion
To keep your furnace in its best condition, Green Apple Mechanical NJ recommends that you change the filter monthly and have it serviced annually by a Green Apple Mechanical professional. This will ensure that your furnace will continue to keep your home warm and comfortable when you need it most.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191
No matter the prevention you have taken sometimes burst pipes happen. What you do when you discover one will make the difference between an inconvenience or a total disaster. Here we have highlighted the best action a homeowner can take.
- Look out for the signs of Burst Pipes. Not every burst pipe is a torrent of water from the ceiling, look for damp patches on walls, ceilings
andfloors. Loss of water pressure, unusual noises in the system and even electrical faults all can point to Burst Pipes.
- If you suspect a burst pipe then isolate the water from the stopcock. Close the stopcock fully and open the taps in the home to remove the water from the system.
- DO NOT use the electrical devices, keep away from light switches and sockets if water is leaking it easily can be within the electrical circuit.
- Clean the excess water away as soon as possible the quicker the water is removed the less damage can be caused.
- If you have any more concerns regarding any of your plumbing or HVAC needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-611-7191