5 Furnace Noises You Shouldn’t Ignore
Below, we’ve outlined five furnace noises you shouldn’t ignore.
Warning Signs Your Furnace Needs Repair
Noises are usually an indication that your furnace needs routine maintenance or repair. However, some noises can indicate an issue with your furnace which could possibly put you and your family at risk. Here is a list of the five most common furnace noises and what your furnace is trying to tell you.
- Booming – It’s not uncommon for homeowners to hear a boom when the furnace engages. In some furnaces, especially older models, a boom could indicate the build-up of gas from a delay in the ignition. Call a Green Apple service technician immediately, especially if there is an odor of natural gas around the furnace.
- Clicking – A clicking noise coming from your furnace is typically an indication of a faulty flame sensor, or possibly a problem between the ignition and the gas. This will also require immediate attention.
- Squealing – Not unlike a car, squealing coming from your furnace could indicate a faulty belt, or possibly, a failing fan motor. Both fixes are usually pretty routine but do require a Green Apple service technician.
- Rattling – A rattling sound that doesn’t subside could be indicative of worn or broken components in the motor or fan. If the rattling worsens, you could be hearing the sound of a complete system failure.
- Chirping – Chirping noises are common in a furnace that hasn’t been used in a while. If you hear chirping, and it’s the beginning of the furnace season, wait a bit. If the chirping doesn’t go away, you may need your fan belts replaced or some similar routine maintenance.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191