A thermostat is your direct line of communication with your HVAC system. It ensures that the climate in your home is both safe and comfortable. With unpredictable weather, having a working thermostat is essential for keeping the right temperature. As we enter a new season, the last thing you want is your thermostat to malfunction or break down. No one likes to come home to a broken thermostat no matter what the circumstances.
SIGNS YOU NEED A NEW THERMOSTAT
- The heating or cooling system will not turn off or on
- The temperature reading is incorrect
- The recent spike in your energy bill
- Frequent temperature fluctuations
- The thermostat is 10 years old or older
Knowing the right time to replace a thermostat can be difficult at first. You don’t want to replace it if it can be repaired, or have it fixed only to have it fail again in a few days. Our experienced Green Apple technicians understand the frustration and are happy to offer some guidance. With the benefit of the homeowner in mind, we at Green Apple Mechanical have provided more information about the five signs you need a new thermostat:
HVAC Improperly Turning On/Off
- Your thermostat’s main function is to communicate with your HVAC. If your air conditioning or heating is not taking the prompts of the thermostat, the problem may be with your thermostat.
- The wiring inside a thermostat can become frayed and damaged, which can compromise the connection to the HVAC.
- If your thermostat unexpectedly turns your heater on or off, then it may be time for a replacement.
Incorrect Thermostat Reading
- If your thermostat is registering incorrect temperatures, then it may be time for a replacement.
- You can test your thermostat’s reading by using a portable indoor thermometer to verify the temperature is correct.
- The sensor in your thermostat can malfunction from old age, misuse, or manufacturing defect.
- Your thermostat’s temperature may fluctuate rapidly if malfunctioning, and this should give notice for replacement.
Higher Energy Bill
- If you find yourself paying more for utilities, your thermostat may be the cause.
- If a thermostat is not properly reading the temperature, it can cause the HVAC to work overtime. If it is cycling multiple times within an hour, it’s using more energy than it should.
- When the air conditioning or heating is turned on randomly, the utility bill can skyrocket.
Constant Temperature Swings
- A malfunctioning thermostat has a harder time maintaining a setting, and may quickly shift temperature settings with no warning.
- If your central air has a difficult time maintaining the set temperature, even after lowering a setting for a test trial, it could be the thermostat.
- If this is happening, contact a Green Apple technician to assess the thermostat.
Thermostat Is Old and Outdated
- As with any system, eventually, your thermostat will become outdated.
- Modern home thermostats tend to have about a 10-year lifespan but are usually replaced sooner due to innovations in the market.
- Non-programmable thermostats have become outdated and replaced by programmable (or learning) thermostats.
- Consider replacing and upgrading to a programmable thermostat, as this advanced technology allows for more programming options.
Be prepared for every season, and consider replacing your thermostat for the chilly season. If you are in need of thermostat repairs or replacement, contact Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ today! We provide premier home thermostat services for New Jersey homeowners and will use our expert knowledge to determine if repair or replacement is the most cost-effective option. Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priorities. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call today toll-free at 888-611-7191